Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New install issues
08-22-2018, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 10:38 AM by BigFoot.)
New install issues
I have just installed Neptune 5.4 into a brand new laptop and encountered two issues.

First is with the initial updates:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-misc-nonfree_20180518-1~bpo9+1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver9_29.bin', which is also in package firmware-intel-gpus 1.169.4

Second is after installing GUFW and trying to run it:

(gufw.py:2327): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(gufw.py:2327): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:232:56: Using one color stop with linear-gradient() is deprecated.

Can someone advise how to fix these please?

[edit] A third issue has arisen now in that the power management settings changes are not saved. They stick on "apply" but revert back to the defaults as soon as the settings window is closed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2018, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 05:27 PM by leszek.)
RE: New install issues
Quote:E: /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-misc-nonfree_20180518-1~bpo9+1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver9_29.bin', which is also in package firmware-intel-gpus 1.169.4
You can workaround this issue until its fixed with forcing the overwrite with
Code:
sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-misc-nonfree_20180518-1~bpo9+1_all.deb
Or just upgrade. The new base-files package should autoremove this package.

Quote:Second is after installing GUFW and trying to run it:
So it does not even run?
Seems like it does not like the gtk theme for some reason. Have you tried changing the gtk theme and try running it again?

Quote:A third issue has arisen now in that the power management settings changes are not saved. They stick on "apply" but revert back to the defaults as soon as the settings window is closed.
The settings are saved usually in ~/.config/powermanagementprofilesrc. See if this file is read and writeable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Thank you for responding.

I do remember an error message during the first update about overwriting the firmware package not being successful so I made a completely new install and waited for the update notification to appear instead of instigating it manually. This time the update succeeded without errors.

The other two issues remain however with exactly the same error trying to run GUFW no matter what theme is selected. The authorization request window appears as normal but after entering the password, nothing but the recorded error.

Same applies to the power management settings which are not retained even though the file you listed is where it should be and operational. This unfortunately kills it for me unless there is fix because every time I leave the laptop I come back to a black screen.

This is a brand new LG Gram with i5 8200, 8G and a 128 SSD.

Since this morning I have also dual booted it with Q4OS which has operated throughout without any issues.
08-22-2018, 07:44 PM
Quote:I do remember an error message during the first update about overwriting the firmware package not being successful so I made a completely new install and waited for the update notification to appear instead of instigating it manually. This time the update succeeded without errors.
Great so our fix we uploaded today works Smile

Regarding to Gufw I tried installing version 17.04.1 from the repos which works fine for me. It starts its gui after entering the password.

The same goes for power management settings. After I hit apply and raised the timeout for display standby from 30 to 60 minutes next time I open up the dialog it is set to 60.
Did you maybe reuse an existing home partition with configuration files?
I tried it on 2 different machines one laptop and one desktop pc and it works flawlessly.
So I can only imagine it might be a config issues or permission problem in writing the config.
Best to test maybe with a clean new user and see if it works there.
08-22-2018, 07:57 PM
The second install was made onto the whole drive with new formatted partitions and these issues arose before I then installed Q4OS as a dual boot.

The UFW issue I can live with as it's probably not necessary anyway, just something I automatically add to my standard list of apps.

Regarding power management maybe I'm misinterpreting the controls. With other distros I disable this by un-ticking the boxes and also the screen locker if this is pre-enabled.

Are you saying the Neptune settings cannot just be un-ticked but must have a value set? If so I'll try extending these to the maximum and see if they stick. Before, just un-ticking the boxes and closing the window and next time they were both ticked again at the default settings. I'm currently not at my desk so I'll need to look at this later.

Thanks again for your help.
08-22-2018, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 08:36 PM by leszek.)
Quote:Are you saying the Neptune settings cannot just be un-ticked but must have a value set? If so I'll try extending these to the maximum and see if they stick. Before, just un-ticking the boxes and closing the window and next time they were both ticked again at the default settings. I'm currently not at my desk so I'll need to look at this later.
Oh thats something I did not try. But after you mentioned it yep that is indeed not working as it seems.
So raising the value seems a good workaround. I wonder why it isn't working. Maybe an issue with the plasmoid or a general Plasma bug. We will investigate this and see if a newer version might fix it.
Thanks for reporting this in that details. That really helps.
08-22-2018, 10:08 PM
(08-22-2018 08:35 PM)leszek Wrote:  Thanks for reporting this in that details. That really helps.

No problem. At least I've been useful for something today. Big Grin
08-23-2018, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2018 04:14 PM by leszek.)
It seems to be indeed a bug. As even with a newer version it does not work like expected.
Other workaround: Disable powermanagement via clicking on the battery icon and disabling the checkbox there seems to work fine.

edit: Reported the bug now here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=397793
What I noticed the settings when unchecking are applied to the config file. So they should then work.
08-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Thanks!