Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
serious issue w/ Neptune 5.3 after 2 - 3 hours
08-21-2018, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 06:59 PM by Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear.)
serious issue w/ Neptune 5.3 after 2 - 3 hours
After being logged into Neptune 5.3 for two to three hours, the mouse and keyboard stop working. If I try to type the letter a into a dialog box on the web, I might the wrong case, I might get 59 a's as if I were holding down the a key. Or I might get nothing at all.

When this happened, I would always wonder, has my old Compaq keyboard (PS/2 style w/ DIN plug) finally died? Or is there something wrong w/ the operating system? or even the BIOS ?

Same thing w/ my cheap optical USB mouse. It usually stops working at the same time, and I cannot reboot using the K-menu.

So I type REISUB on the keyboard while holding down the <Alt> and <SysRq> keys. If I haven't waited too long, that reboots my computer. If I have waited too long, then I use <Alt> <SysRq> R E O
or, if that fails too, the power switch.

The next time I reboot my computer, even if it's right away, the mouse and keyboard work normally, that is, perfectly.

So I deduce that the operating system is to blame. I am becoming better at saving my user files more often. It has gotten to the point where I need to reboot the computer every 2-3 hours if I don't want it to get into this awkward situation.

If you want me to look for error messages that might be associated with the failure of mouse and keyboard, let me know where and I will look for them. However, you will have to tell me exactly how to get into a shell without using the mouse because I don't know how. I'm not sure I can actually do anything with my computer in this state other than note the time it happened.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2018, 09:06 AM
RE: serious issue w/ Neptune 5.3 after 2 - 3 hours
Sounds like a power management issue. Can you try disabling power management via the battery icon hidden in the panel and see if it fixes the issue.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2018, 06:13 AM
(08-22-2018 09:06 AM)leszek Wrote:  Sounds like a power management issue. Can you try disabling power management via the battery icon hidden in the panel and see if it fixes the issue.

That battery icon says "No batteries available." when I mouseover it.
That's because Neptune is running on my desktop, not on my laptop.

When I click on the "Battery and Brightness" submenu, A dialog box appears with the title "Battery and Brightness", with the subtitle "Enable Power Management".
"/usr/lib/firefox-esr/plugin-container and 1 other application are currently suppressing power management"
08-23-2018, 09:09 AM
If you disable it there it should not go into any power saving mode. Though when firefox is surpressing it anyways it shouldn't be an issue at all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2018, 06:00 PM
I L-mouse-clicked on the upper-left blue box on the "Enable Power Management" submenu. The blue box turned to gray. So i suppose that disabled it.

Will report back later on whether or not the original issue (nonworking mouse & keyboard) has been fixed.