Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DigiKam cannot be installed on Neptune 5
05-13-2018, 04:40 PM
DigiKam cannot be installed on Neptune 5
Hello,

I tried to install DigiKam via Muon, but this turned out to be impossible, as package "digikam" is in collision with package "digikam" (yes, you've read rightly!)

An attempt to install DigiKam by terminal as sudo also failed, the error shown is:

digikam : Hängt ab von: digikam-private-libs (= 4:5.3.0-1) soll aber nicht installiert werden
Hängt ab von: kipi-plugins (= 4:5.3.0-1) soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

Please, what can I do to get DigiKam to work. It is a bit strange that a unique KDE programme does not run.

Thanks and kind regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2018, 07:30 PM
RE: DigiKam cannot be installed on Neptune 5
Please download and use the appimage from the download page of digikam.
The Debian version from the repository conflicts with newer KF5 kipi plugins.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2018, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2018 08:34 PM by Poseidon.)

(05-13-2018 08:24 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  
(05-13-2018 07:30 PM)leszek Wrote:  Please download and use the appimage from the download page of digikam.
The Debian version from the repository conflicts with newer KF5 kipi plugins.

Hmmm - I never heard about "appimage". Seems to be something new. Huh

Following your advice, I downloaded the file "digikam-5.9.0-01-x86-64.appimage" from the digikam site but what's the next step? In contrast to *.deb files, the *.appimage files do not seem to be recognized by an installer. I made it executable and thus managed to run the program.

My questions are:
  • Where shall I put the appimage files in the folder tree?
  • How can I integrate the program into the KDE menu?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Find all posts by this user
05-13-2018, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2018 09:47 PM by leszek.)
Quote:Hmmm - I never heard about "appimage". Seems to be something new.
It is basically something new packaging most dependencies in one executable file that can run on almost all distros that have recent basics installed.
It does not need to install anything as the file format is basically a modified CD container or squashfs image.
As I see you understand german you can listen to the RadioTux November 2016 Podcast (https://www.radiotux.de/index.php?/archi...-2016.html) were we discuss the new package formats amongst them AppImage.

Quote:Where shall I put the appimage files in the folder tree?
If you are a single user put wherever you want it.
If you have multiple users that want to open that application maybe in some common space where all have access to (for example the /opt directory)

You can create a new link to application on the desktop and as executable choose that file. After creation of the icon if you right click you can even set the correct digikam Icon for it.
If you don't want to have it on the desktop you can move the file in the hidden ~/.local/share/applications (for your user - /usr/share/applications/ for all users) folder where it then should be picked up by menu (if not directly after a relogin). You can use the menu editor to (right click on the menu button in the panel) to move it to the correct category.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user