Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP LaserJet printer FAIL
07-19-2017, 06:48 PM
RE: HP LaserJet printer FAIL
(07-14-2017 04:16 PM)leszek Wrote:  I am not sure whats wrong with your printer then.

Yesterday after I failed to find a solution to the endless hardware loop error, I started wondering if one of the microswitches had failed. One microswitch disables the printer when the top lid (to access the toner cartridge) is lifted. Another microswitch senses when the paper tray (holding the stack of blank paper) has been pulled out. I think I will try to find a person who has experience testing these switches, or try to find them myself. However, I don't plan to disassemble the printer to find them. I have a pdf of a user manual that I downloaded from the web, but it does not show photographs of the microswitches. It just mentions them.

When I detach the printer's USB cable, the printer still illuminates the orange warning LED. Thank you for reading this and for making suggestions, leszek.

This morning I found a discrepancy between the K-->"System Settings"...."Configure your printer"...."Configure" button "Printer options" tab "Page Size" (A4) and LibreOffice writer's "Print" button "Properties" "Paper size:" field (Letter). So I changed the A4 to Letter and tried again. I got the same failure to print. However, this time the print queue shows a 1 in the Pages column for this attempt rather than 0's in the Pages column for all yesterday's attempts that were still in the print queue today. Does this mean anything to you?

Also, neither of the options "Print Test Page" nor "Print Self Test Page" under the
"Maintenance \/" button prints. I tried both.

I will retry printing using a different USB cable, just in case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2017, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 10:25 PM by Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear.)
Today I found a BIG PROBLEM with my HP printer.
It wouldn't print a pdf.
So I did http://localhost:631/ and found three files sit in the print queue.
Here is what I saw:
Code:
Showing 3 of 3 active jobs.
▼ ID ▼    Name    User    Size    Pages    State    Control
HP_LaserJet_2200-133      Unknown      Withheld      89k      1      pending since
Mon 11 Sep 2017 12:59:49 PM EDT      

HP_LaserJet_2200-134      Unknown      Withheld      89k      Unknown      pending since
Mon 11 Sep 2017 01:06:59 PM EDT      

HP_LaserJet_2200-135      Unknown      Withheld      293k      Unknown      pending since
Tue 12 Sep 2017 02:50:17 PM EDT

Click here for image ==> https://ibb.co/nrk0rv
This doesn't look right to me.
Name - Unknown User - WIthheld
Does this signify anything to you?
Should I just delete the jobs and try printing again?
09-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Have you checked that the printer is not accidently set on paused?
The pending indicator tells me that it is waiting for something.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Yes, I checked that the printer's green "Ready" LED is illuminated I also checked to make sure the printer path is not jammed, and that the USB cable running to the computer is not loose.
09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
I meant the software itself. You can set a printer to be paused or susupended in the printer settings.
09-13-2017, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 07:24 PM by Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear.)
Sorry, leszek.
K->System....Print Settings does not bring up a dialog box.
However, when I set my browser to http://localhost:631/admin
and then click the "Manage Printers" button, I see that yes,
the printer is "Paused". I click on that printer's name to
bring up a new dialog box, listing the names of all my suspended
print jobs.
For each job, are three buttons on the right-hand side:
  • Hold job
  • Cancel job
  • Move job
When I click Move job for the first (most recent) job,
a dialog box pops up with the error message,
"Move Job Error

Unable to move job:

No destinations added."

I am confused. Is there a way to "unpause" the printer from inside this GUI ?

BTW, I swapped the USB data cable to the printer last night, but to no avail.
09-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Yeah you need to unpause the printer or basically resume the printer for the jobs to come trough. Otherwise you can only remove them.
I never really worked with the CUPS Html UI but I think it should show up somewhere at the printer settings.
09-14-2017, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 09:19 PM by Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear.)
Thank you for responding, Leszek.

I found an answer on the web by searching ""CUPS restore printer to working condition"
at http://superuser.com/questions/280396/ho...mmand-line

Code:
#lpc status
HP_LaserJet_2200:
        printer is on device 'hp' speed -1
        queuing is enabled
        printing is disabled
        5 entries
        daemon present
# cupsenable HP_LaserJet_2200
# #After waiting 2 minutes
# lpc status
HP_LaserJet_2200:
        printer is on device 'hp' speed -1
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entries
        daemon present
While waiting for my last print job to print, I went to the web GUI http://localhost:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_2200
and printed
Code:
Cancel job
for all the other print jobs that had been pending from earlier dates.
YAY! It printed my pdf file. YAHOO!!!!

I saved this info. to a file called restore_printer_to_working_condition.txt
If my CUPS printer becomes disabled again, I will see if there's a way to reenable it through the webs interface without requiring superuser privileges. If I find such a way, I will post it here.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thank you, leszek.
10-17-2017, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 02:20 AM by Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear.)
I can get this HP Laser printer to print single-sided pages (nothing on back).
So this covers most printed correspondence.

However, this printer feeds each piece of paper through the rollers twice in order to print pages that have both front and back sides printed. First the paper goes through the rollers in one direction, receiving the front side image. Then the paper stops just as its leading edge appears in the exit paper tray, is pulled back into the printer to go through another set of rollers to receive the back side image, and then is pulled through the printer's rollers one last time into the exit paper tray.

This reverse pathway through the rollers to receive the back side image is the one that is causing the problem. I know this because numerous times, when trying to print front-and-back-side pages, the two papers would jam together--a definite fault condition, because only one leaf of paper at a time is supposed to be in these rollers.

So I conclude that something in the rollers needs to be adjusted/replaced. I will try to find a printer technician who knows how to test to determine which device in the printer needs to be replaced. Until then, I will print my documents one side at a time.
06-23-2018, 06:28 PM
I hate to bring this printer up again, but it is NOT printing after upgrading to Neptune 5.3
My usual trick to reset isn't working:
Code:
root@neptune1:/home/jon/linux/print# cat reset_printer.txt
How to re-enable a CUPS printer from the command line

First do this to get the printer name:
# lpstat -p
printer HP_LaserJet_2200 disabled since Wed 18 Oct 2017 05:23:34 PM EDT -
        reason unknown
# cupsenable HP_LaserJet_2200
# lpstat -p
printer HP_LaserJet_2200 now printing HP_LaserJet_2200-194.  enabled since Wed 18 Oct 2017 07:38:38 PM EDT

root@neptune1:/home/jon/linux/print# cupsenable HP_Laserjet_2200
cupsenable: Operation failed: client-error-not-found

Nothing appears in the print queue according to the Plasma GUI Settings-->Print settings-->View print queue

Any ideas?