Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interactive White Board Software
08-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Question Interactive White Board Software
A bit of a stretch but I would like to see if someone can help with this.
I have been a noob linux user for 5 years now with moderate to great results using various distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, PupyLinux, Kubuntu.

I heard about Zeven OS when I was looking for distributions that had KDE as the main user interface. I was happy with what I saw but I was forced to go back to Kubuntu due to one issue.

SMART Board Notebook Software
In the description found at: Driver Info
you see the following:
Quote:SMART Product Drivers Version 11.0.379.1
Software downloads
Download the software from smarttech.com/software.
Minimum computer requirements

Pentium® 4 or higher processor

1 GB of RAM (2 GB recommended)

2.5 GB of free hard disk space for minimum installation

Linux kernel 3.13 or later

X Window SystemTM 11 release 6 (X11R6) or later that supports XRender and XineramaTM

glibc 2.10.1

libstdc++6

GNOMETM 2.28 or KDE® 4.3.5 libraries or later (recommended)

Linux distributions tested
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

NOTES
Only 32-bit Linux distributions are supported.
SMART Product Drivers hasn’t been tested with distribution and application versions later
than those shown.

Now I can use alternative software like Open Sankore (Official Site)
or xournal (Sourceforge Page)

but one thing is missing: the Calibration tool.
This tool allows the mouse pointer to be calibrated with the touch screen interface/white board. This is crucial since when writing, if not calibrated, the mouse pointer might end up either above, below, to the left or right, of where you are actually pressing on the screen.

It would be nice if there was a solution for this and it would make my switch easier.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
RE: Interactive White Board Software
So the main problem was that you couldn't install this 32bit software on Neptune or what exactly was the problem?
Btw. It's quite stupid for a company to only support 32bit as we are living in 2015 now and thde majority of users is on a 64bit system not to mention the developers which are 99.9% also only using 64bit versions
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2015, 11:57 AM
(08-10-2015 10:34 AM)leszek Wrote:  So the main problem was that you couldn't install this 32bit software on Neptune or what exactly was the problem?

Exactly. I plan on using the laptop for work but that requires the ability to interact with smart boards. The software itself is replaceable except for the calibration tool. if there is something that can do the same job it would be nice. I found hints of programs calibrating stylus input but nothing that could be of use.

(08-10-2015 10:34 AM)leszek Wrote:  Btw. It's quite stupid for a company to only support 32bit as we are living in 2015 now and thde majority of users is on a 64bit system not to mention the developers which are 99.9% also only using 64bit versions

Not sure why. The Win and Mac version both have 64-bit support.
They provide very little support and hat they do provide is focused on Win and Mac which makes sense since the majority of schools don't use Linux distributions as their main OS. There is a movement but nothing major.
08-12-2015, 05:20 AM
Multiarch?
08-12-2015, 05:37 AM
(08-12-2015 05:20 AM)rolan Wrote:  Multiarch?

I tried on Ubuntu 12.04 onward and it fails each time. Maybe I'm missing a step or not doing something correctly but there is very little info I can find on the subject. I can't figure out why because I can't be the only person, using linux, dealing with this bizzare piece of software.