Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Menu Bar Disappears, Chromium Window Widens Out
04-05-2015, 04:19 AM
Menu Bar Disappears, Chromium Window Widens Out
Hello,

I have a newly installed Neptune 4.3.1 on a Dell Inspiron 1525. Using the standard video driver, 4Gb of ram. This problem was happening on Neptune before installing version 4.3.1.

- With Chromium browser open, the window widens out leaving about 1/4 inch at the top and the window buttons are off the screen. Cannot move window to get buttons in view.

- The menu bar at the bottom also disappears when this happens. You can close the browser tabs to get to the desktop and "right click" to reboot.

Thanks,
creole_cat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 09:24 AM by leszek.)
RE: Menu Bar Disappears, Chromium Window Widens Out
Quote:- With Chromium browser open, the window widens out leaving about 1/4 inch at the top and the window buttons are off the screen. Cannot move window to get buttons in view.

You can move any window by holding alt and left clicking and holding mouse button and moving the mouse.
Does this help?

Quote:- The menu bar at the bottom also disappears when this happens. You can close the browser tabs to get to the desktop and "right click" to reboot.

Sounds to me like the desktop crashed. Or is only the panel disappearing from the bottom?
Do you have a second monitor plugged in?
Is the overall image streched out?
Which graphicscard do you use?
Have you installed proprietary graphicsdriver?

edit: moved to correct subforum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2015, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 04:58 PM by creole_cat.)
(04-05-2015 09:23 AM)leszek Wrote:  
Quote:- With Chromium browser open, the window widens out leaving about 1/4 inch at the top and the window buttons are off the screen. Cannot move window to get buttons in view.

You can move any window by holding alt and left clicking and holding mouse button and moving the mouse.
Does this help?

Quote:- The menu bar at the bottom also disappears when this happens. You can close the browser tabs to get to the desktop and "right click" to reboot.

Sounds to me like the desktop crashed. Or is only the panel disappearing from the bottom?
Do you have a second monitor plugged in?
Is the overall image streched out?
Which graphicscard do you use?
Have you installed proprietary graphicsdriver?

edit: moved to correct subforum

Leszek,

Thanks for quick response. I will try the combination to move the window next time this happens.I tried this key combination and it will not move the Chromium window.

Sounds to me like the desktop crashed. Or is only the panel disappearing from the bottom? Only the bottom panel is disappearing. Other desktop functions seem to work properly.
Do you have a second monitor plugged in? No second Monitor.
Is the overall image streched out? Only the Chromium browser window.
Which graphicscard do you use? Intel GM965/GM970 integrated.
Have you installed proprietary graphicsdriver? I have the Mesa DRI Intel 965GM 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2
04-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Quote:I tried this key combination and it will not move the Chromium window.

Very strange.
Seems like the window manager kwin crashed.

Can you make a screenshot or snapshot (with camera/smartphone if the app is not working) when this happens again.
Also can you try deactivating the desktop effects in systemsettings to see if it solves this issue.
04-09-2015, 04:01 AM
leszek,

deactivating the desktop effects alt+shift+F12, seems to keep this problem from reoccurring. Not sure what that means, but I will take it. Thanks!

(04-05-2015 09:46 PM)leszek Wrote:  

Very strange.

Can you make a screenshot or snapshot (with camera/smartphone if the app is not working) when this happens again.
Also can you try deactivating the desktop effects in systemsettings to see if it solves this issue.
04-16-2015, 06:01 PM
leszek,

I tried unchecking "Enable Desktop Effects at Startup" but that does not seem to work. Only by manually atl+shift+F12, does it toggle the effects. Here are a couple of pictures showing Chromium screen streched out and desktop with bottom bar gone.

(04-09-2015 04:01 AM)creole_cat Wrote:  leszek,

deactivating the desktop effects alt+shift+F12, seems to keep this problem from reoccurring. Not sure what that means, but I will take it. Thanks!

(04-05-2015 09:46 PM)leszek Wrote:  

Very strange.

04-16-2015, 07:03 PM
When effects are enabled did you try the OpenGL 1.1 option yet in Advanced Settings ?
Maybe your card + driver combination is buggy with higher settings.
04-27-2015, 05:57 AM
leszek,

I tried changing this parameter and the problem still occured, but I installed Iceweasel and the problem has never happened using that browser, only with Chromium.Confused

(04-16-2015 07:03 PM)leszek Wrote:  When effects are enabled did you try the OpenGL 1.1 option yet in Advanced Settings ?
Maybe your card + driver combination is buggy with higher settings.
04-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Weird problem then. Maybe it's a bug in chromium 3d acceleration and your particular card/driver