Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0
05-26-2011, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2011 10:18 PM by paulfxh.)
RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0
[Image: screen3.png]

Thanks again for the reply.
However, had I looked carefully in Synaptic Package Manager>Settings>Repositories>OtherSoftWareTab, I would have seen the ZevenOS repo right there at the bottom but marked Disabled on Upgrade to Natty.
I don't know how I missed this before.
Anyway, after re-enabling this repo I was able to install both Sawfish (1:1.7.1) and DeskbarV2
Now, when I choose the ZevenOS session on boot, all windows, which are now moveable, have Haiku decoration (see screenshot) including the upper panel which is called Top Expanded Edge Panel although this is both unnecessary and awkward as it brings the panel down to cover over a little of the Unity launch bar.

However, Deskbar does not start. If I try to launch it from a terminal, I get the following output:
Quote:./deskbar.py:749: SyntaxWarning: name 'submenu' is assigned to before global declaration
global submenu
item label="Catfish" icon="catfish"
command="catfish"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./deskbar.py", line 792, in <module>
hwg = Deskbar()
File "./deskbar.py", line 120, in __init__
refresh_dynamic_menu()
File "./deskbar.py", line 757, in refresh_dynamic_menu
map(walk_menu, gmenu.lookup_tree(menu).root.get_contents())
File "./deskbar.py", line 750, in walk_menu
submenu.append(desktopfile)
NameError: global name 'submenu' is not defined
It looks to me like the existing python script for Deskbar is incompatible with whatever changes result from the Natty upgrade.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2011, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2011 06:10 PM by leszek.)
make sure to have a /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu file otherwise the dynamic menu won't work.
The panel still seems to be the xfce4 panel. Please check again if you can delete from the xinirc .
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-29-2011, 06:27 PM
The deskbar has been fixed for natty. Thx for reporting the issue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
(05-27-2011 09:47 AM)leszek Wrote:  make sure to have a /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu file otherwise the dynamic menu won't work.
The panel still seems to be the xfce4 panel. Please check again if you can delete from the xinirc .
[Image: Screenshot-2.png]

Well, I made just a little more progress.
The upper panel was actually the gnome-panel and the only way I could get it to stop launching was to delete it altogether.
Then I added unity-2d-panel to my startup applications which gave me the unity panel after a boot.
Next, I installed a number of updates which included something like "new zevenos settings".
When I next rebooted, the previously very reluctant Deskbar appeared giving the desktop I show in the screenshot.
Things are still not perfect, however, as the Unity-launcher, the Unity-2D-panel and Deskbar cover each other over depending on which is in focus. There must be a way to overcome this annoyance but I haven't found it yet.
Anyway, ZevenOS looks a lot more like Ubuntu 11.04 now with all of the Haiku features which is nice.
Find all posts by this user