Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking visual display of RAM use in KDE window manager
12-16-2017, 04:51 AM
Seeking visual display of RAM use in KDE window manager
Running Neptune 4.5 KDE Plasma 5.8.7 kernel 4.9.30 wheezy on a 64-bit quad core CPU. Just wondering if there might be a visual display of RAM used in the last minute that I can display in the KDE GUI? A taskbar that runs from 0 % to 100% RAM used in the last minute. I looked but didn't find anything in KDE. I just want a quick indicator to let me knowwhen I have cloggedup more than half of my RAM with applications.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2017, 10:51 AM
RE: Seeking visual display of RAM use in KDE window manager
There is a widget for this for the desktop. I am not sure if it will show something in the panel though. Just search for it in the add widgets.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-17-2017, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2017 06:55 PM by Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear.)
RE: Seeking visual display of RAM use in KDE window manager
Thank you, leszek, for pointing me in the right direction.

The widget is called "Memory Status". It shows the amount of physical memory
on a time-history plot ( a two-dimensional plot with memory amount appearing on the vertical axis and time progressing to the right, the oldest data scrolling off-screen to the left side, most recent data on the right side) This plot appears on the KDE taskbar. So if your physical memory usage settles to a constant value, the display becomes a blue bar with a horizontal top. Right now, for example, the blue bar's top is about halfway between the bottom and the top. There are no markers on the top and bottom. After viewing it while doing
Code:
$pkill firefox
I can easily see that I have enough Firefox ESR browser windows open to consume about half my physical memory. This display is exactly what I was hoping to find..

So far Neptune 4.5 is the best linux distribution I have used. I know part of this is its debian heritage, including the forty-some thousand packages residing online in its repositories. However, a great part of this distribution is the help and patience you have shown me, leszek, as I strive to do things that are new to me. I hope my post helps others who also have wondered how to quickly see percentage of physical RAM currently being used by their CPU. Thank you.

Next, I would like to know what mouse setting to change in order to stop bouncing of my mouse-clicks. In case you don't know, bounce is when you press a button and the electronic device it controls reads numerous on and off states when you only meant to toggle a single change of the device's state. When bounce happens, there's only a 50/50 chance the result is the state you wanted.
Find all posts by this user