Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[solved] Neptune 4.5 Live Image Boot Failure
02-27-2016, 03:53 AM
RE: Neptune 4.5 Live Image Boot Failure
The modified 4.5 USB stick still doesn't boot properly. Here is what I did:

1. Booted Neptune 4.2 live image with persistence
2. Created snapshot_folder with subfolder boot in the home directory (using Dolphin)
3. Copied vmlinuz-VERSION and initrd-VERSION from /boot to ~/snapshot_folder/boot (again using Dolphin). File names were not altered.
4. Opened terminal and entered the following commands with the following output:

Code:
user@neptune:~$ cd ~/snapshot_folder
user@neptune:~/snapshot_folder$ mksquashfs . ../kernel-snapshot.squashfs -comp xz
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 12 processors
Creating 4.0 filesystem on ../kernel-snapshot.squashfs, block size 131072.
[===============================================================-] 220/220 100%
Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, xz compressed, data block size 131072
        compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments, compressed xattrs
        duplicates are removed
Filesystem size 27900.64 Kbytes (27.25 Mbytes)
        99.61% of uncompressed filesystem size (28010.39 Kbytes)
Inode table size 398 bytes (0.39 Kbytes)
        39.41% of uncompressed inode table size (1010 bytes)
Directory table size 85 bytes (0.08 Kbytes)
        100.00% of uncompressed directory table size (85 bytes)
Number of duplicate files found 0
Number of inodes 4
Number of files 2
Number of fragments 0
Number of symbolic links  0
Number of device nodes 0
Number of fifo nodes 0
Number of socket nodes 0
Number of directories 2
Number of ids (unique uids + gids) 1
Number of uids 1
        user (1000)
Number of gids 1
        user (1000)
user@neptune:~/snapshot_folder$

5. Copied kernel-snapshot.squashfs to /live directory of the modified 4.5 USB stick (using Dolphin)

6. Entered the following terminal command:

Code:
user@neptune:~/media/NEPTUNE45/live$ nano /media/NEPTUNE45/live/filesystem.module

7. Pasted in the following lines of code and saved:

Code:
filesystem.squashfs
kernel-snapshot.squashfs

I've tried booting the 4.5 USB stick twice and the same thing happens as before: desktop comes up but cursor doesn't move. Did I miss something?

(02-24-2016 03:25 PM)leszek Wrote:  It may sound funny but did you click the user name before trying to enter the password ? (Usually it should not be a problem anymore but we once had several users complaining about that and filing bug reports when they just did not click their user names)
Now that really is funnyBig Grin. I've never come across this in any other distro. I'm not surprised you got so many bug reports! Thanks for pointing this out. I can now run Neptune from the SATA drive. There are still a few problems. But, since they don't relate directly to the original topic of this thread I will start a new one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Short Update.

We analyzed the kernel and could not find a problem there. Our Kernel config did not change from Neptune 4.2 to 4.5. The orion error message at the beginning is somehow normal as this module only exists for certain platforms (kirkwood) and is not the cause of the issue.

If you still wish to help it would be great if you could on the bootloader press Tab remove quiet and splash and add debug at the end.
You should then in case of the error land on a debug shell where you should find a live.log file.
It would be really helpful if you could share that log file with us because otherwise there is no other way to help you as we don't have the hardware that produce this error and we only have 2 people (including you) who are affected at the moment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2016, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 03:01 PM by DCB.)
I have tried doing as you suggested above using both the modified 4.5 USB stick (with older kernel) and a fresh 4.5 USB stick (with newer kernel). On the GRUB screen I pressed "e" and deleted "quiet splash" and added "debug." The modified USB stick simply produces the same result as described in my last post (not surprisingly) -- i.e. desktop with immobile cursor. The fresh USB stick produces a similar error message to before. After boot the following lines appear repeated about 100 times:

Code:
ntfs: volume version 3.1
FAT-fs (sda1): utf8 is not a recommended charset for FAT filesystems ...
EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode ...

Then I get this:

Code:
uhci_hcd: USB univesal host Controller Interface driver
ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' host Controller (OHCI) driver
hidraw: raw HID events drive
usbcore: registered new interface drive usbhid
usbhid: USB hid core driver
After that there is BusyBox and then finally this message comes up:

Code:
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)

At that point all I can do is shut off the power manually. I tried booting with debug again but exactly the same thing happened.
03-19-2016, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2016 01:06 PM by leszek.)
I was able to reproduce it on a machine that someone had running with Neptune here on my vacation.
The thing that I did to make it work with USB 3.0 was adding xhci_pci module to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and updating the initrd.

So step by step.
1. Find a computer where neptune live boots
2. Append xhci_pci to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules with root rights
3. Run sudo update-initramfs.distrib -u in terminal
4. Copy the /boot/initrd.img-3.18.25 file to /live/image/live/initrd2.img (overwriting the existing file)

That should do it and make the usb 2.0 stick bootable on a usb 3.0 slot.
Hope that works.
05-10-2016, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2016 03:51 AM by DCB.)
Thanks for the new 4.5.1 iso. I have not used it much yet, but I can report that it boots successfully. The problem reported at the beginning of this thread is now solved.

I can also confirm that persistence creator works properly. After creating the persistence image (using the GUI -- no longer any need to run sudo mkfs.ext4 /live/image/live-rw in terminal) changes are retained after reboot. The only problem is that I have to make sure not to boot in UEFI mode (which still is not supported by persistence creator).

I would like to express my gratitude to the Neptune team for all their great work and responsiveness to issues raised by users.
05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the confirmation and praise Smile