Forums
Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.zevenos.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 (/showthread.php?tid=813)

Pages: 1 2

Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - scratch - 05-11-2011 08:55 AM

Are these compatible, or is Zeven 3.0 only going to be supported on the 10.10 application base? The "upgrade now" button says it disables third-party repos, can they be re-enabled after upgrade and work well together?

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - leszek - 05-20-2011 11:08 AM

Theoretically it should work fine.
But you may might loose the branding (that means lsb_release and grub will tell you that you are running the new ubuntu version)

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - paulfxh - 05-23-2011 12:35 AM

Well, the 11.04 upgrade didn't work so well for me even though I spent quite some time trying to fine-tune it.
I had ZevenOS 3.0 working perfectly with 3D effects, AWN dock and conky on my EeePC 901.
However, as I already had Ubuntu 11.04 working very well for me on the same machine, I decided to try to upgrade ZevenOS using the upgrade tool that popped up every time lately I opened ZevenOS 3.0.
The upgrade took about six hours.
However, when I opened the upgraded version first with Compiz active, it appeared very strange.
First, the actual desktop seemed to be composed of three distinct desktops (all with the same wallpaper) which were superimposed but shifted to the left and right of one another.
As a result, conky was placed just off the screen to the right (my conky normally shows up at the extreme right of the screen but still fully visible).
Then, windows (such as xfce4-terminal) were not at all movable (nor wobbly, but this is of no consequence) and contained no Close/Minimize/Restore buttons.
I installed Unity from Synaptic and it seemed to be working fine other than that the windows produced from it were not movable or resizable.
Because of the weird desktop, I uninstalled Compiz and AWN and replaced Unity with Unity-2D.
This solved the desktop appearance problem but windows remained unmovable and without buttons.
Has anybody managed to get the Natty upgrade working in ZevenOS or should I go back to ZevenOS 3.0?

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - leszek - 05-23-2011 10:00 AM

Which windowmanager were you using ? If you used compiz I guess it shlould be emerald or something similiar.
Perhaps you need to install it if it isn't already installed. Sometimes it also helps to purge the compiz configuration.
Also to be honest you would not have so much problems if you were using the default zevenos desktop.
So its almost normal that a customized desktop is harder to upgrade the more customized it is.

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - paulfxh - 05-23-2011 04:09 PM

(05-23-2011 10:00 AM)leszek Wrote:  Which windowmanager were you using ? If you used compiz I guess it shlould be emerald or something similiar.
Perhaps you need to install it if it isn't already installed. Sometimes it also helps to purge the compiz configuration.
Also to be honest you would not have so much problems if you were using the default zevenos desktop.
So its almost normal that a customized desktop is harder to upgrade the more customized it is.
Hi leszek
Thank you for your comments.
Yes, I was using Emerald as WM with Compiz in ZevenOS 3.0.
However, I have made some progress with the above problem.
Up to the time of my last post, I had been logging into my account automatically which, of course, bypassed the login screen.
However, I had forgotten that the Ubuntu 11.04 login screen actually offers quite a number of session options: these include Ubuntu, ZevenOS, Unity-2D and XFCE.
Of these, Unity-2D works perfectly and is highly usable although no 3D effects are available.
Ubuntu does have 3D effects such as wobbly windows but, strangely, no upper panel is present.
Both ZevenOS and XFCE sessions work but windows are not moveable.
The biggest surprise is that, in no case, do any Haiku desktop features appear. So, no deskbar and no Haiku windows.
I tried launching /usr/bin/deskbarv2 from a terminal and it errored out with the following message:
Quote:Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./deskbar.py", line 792, in <module>
hwg = Deskbar()
File "./deskbar.py", line 139, in __init__
tb.set_vertical_mode(True)
AttributeError: 'wnck.Tasklist' object has no attribute 'set_vertical_mode'
Any comments or clues much appreciated.

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - leszek - 05-23-2011 08:19 PM

You need to reinstall the deskbarv2. This should fix it.
The not movable windows is something I never heard. So they don't move even when trying to press and hold ALT+left mouse key to move them ?

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - paulfxh - 05-25-2011 05:35 PM

(05-23-2011 08:19 PM)leszek Wrote:  You need to reinstall the deskbarv2. This should fix it.
The not movable windows is something I never heard. So they don't move even when trying to press and hold ALT+left mouse key to move them ?
Thanks again for your reply.
Yes, holding the Alt-key allows the windows to move while mousing but not without.
Nevertheless, the windows are still without Close/Minimize/Restore buttons which is inconvenient.
Note that the above behavior is observed ONLY in the ZevenOS and XFCE sessions.
In the Unity-2D and Ubuntu sessions, windows are totally normal and movable.
However, the Ubuntu-2D session, as its name implies, lacks 3D effects and the Ubuntu session which does have them, mysteriously is lacking the upper panel which removes some functionality such as a Shutdown/Reboot applet.

I was unable to re-install deskbarv2 (I also tried deskbar2) using either Synaptic or a terminal. It seems it's not available in the repos. Perhaps there's a ZevenOS repo or a PPA that I need to use for this install.

So, as things stand, ZevenOS works fine after the 11.04 upgrade if I use the Unity-2D session or the Ubuntu session with the deficiencies noted above.
The ZevenOS and XFCE sessions are usable, but with some inconvenience, again as noted above.
Nevertheless, in no case does any semblance of a Haiku desktop appear. Indeed, they all appear indistinguishable from Ubuntu.
Strangely, too, even though I've (supposedly) upgraded to 11.04, the update manager still tells me the 11.04 upgrade is available. But, if I try to upgrade, a message appears after the "Preparing to Upgrade" step telling me there are no upgrades available for my system.
On this basis, I think I'll go back to ZevenOS 3.0 as the upgrade provides nothing I can't get in Ubuntu.

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - leszek - 05-25-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:I was unable to re-install deskbarv2 (I also tried deskbar2) using either Synaptic or a terminal. It seems it's not available in the repos. Perhaps there's a ZevenOS repo or a PPA that I need to use for this install.
Maybe Ubuntu turned them off before upgrading. Try to look at the /etc/apt/sources.list and activate the zevenos repo there.
Also make sure that sawfish is installed in version 1.7.x

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - paulfxh - 05-25-2011 06:49 PM

(05-25-2011 06:06 PM)leszek Wrote:  
Quote:I was unable to re-install deskbarv2 (I also tried deskbar2) using either Synaptic or a terminal. It seems it's not available in the repos. Perhaps there's a ZevenOS repo or a PPA that I need to use for this install.
Maybe Ubuntu turned them off before upgrading. Try to look at the /etc/apt/sources.list and activate the zevenos repo there.
Also make sure that sawfish is installed in version 1.7.x
Thanks for the reply.
However, it seems there are no ZevenOS repos at all in /etc/apt/sources.list as the word "zevenos" does not occur, either commented or uncommented, in this file.
Could you please post the url of the relevant repos?
Thanks

RE: Ubuntu 11.04 & ZevenOS 3.0 - leszek - 05-25-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:deb http://www.zevenos.com/packages/zevenos3/ ./