Forums
A new way to invoke a web browser -- from an editor ? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.zevenos.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Neptune (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: English Sub-Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+----- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+----- Thread: A new way to invoke a web browser -- from an editor ? (/showthread.php?tid=21924)

A new way to invoke a web browser -- from an editor ? - Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear - 04-09-2018 11:00 PM

I save URLs to text files using a plain text editor, such as kate or kwrite.
I only save one URL per line.

Does anybody know of a way to set up KDE so that if I click on a URL that I am looking at with the editor with my mouse, then KDE opens a browser, creates a new window, and directs it to that URL ?

Am using Neptune 4.5 KDE Plasma 5.8.7 wheezy 64-bit

RE: A new way to invoke a web browser -- from an editor ? - leszek - 04-10-2018 12:16 AM

That is not possible in kate itself. however klipper (the clipboard in the panel) is able to offer showing a contextmenu when marking urls which offer the option to open the link up in a webbrowser. All you need to do is pressing ctrl+alt+x with klipper running (so it is in the panel) and all marked text and links will now open up a contextmenu which offers stuff to do with it.
To deactivate it again press that key combination again.

RE: A new way to invoke a web browser -- from an editor ? - Sergeant_Pepper's_Lonely_Hear - 04-10-2018 03:54 PM

Thank you for replying, leszek.
I couldn't find klipper in any part of the KDE GUI (graphical user interface). Apparently it is on my system:
Code:
$ which klipper
/usr/bin/klipper
On the taskbar, I did find:
Panel Options...Add widgets....Clipboard Contents
and now I have its icon on my taskbar.
Is that it?

RE: A new way to invoke a web browser -- from an editor ? - leszek - 04-10-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:Is that it?
Yes