Forums
Installation Woes - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.zevenos.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Neptune (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: English Sub-Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+----- Forum: Installation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Thread: Installation Woes (/showthread.php?tid=1251)

Installation Woes - tiggz - 02-14-2012 07:23 PM

Hi Guys, as you all can see I'm new to the forum anyways, I'm having some issues with installing Neptune.

Firstly, my partition structure is as follows:
/dev/sda1 System Reserved
/dev/sda2 Windows 7[/font]
/dev/sda3 /
v /dev/sda4 extended
/dev/sda5 Data Storage
/dev/sda6 Data Storage II
/dev/sda7 linux-swap

Now sda1, sda2, sda5, & sda6 are ntfs partitions while sda7 is linux swap as you can see and sda3 is ext4.

When i run the Neptune installer i used the manual partition to partition sda3 as ext4 and Labeled it / for root. I also set the partition as boot.

In the last step of the installer the target partition of the installation is set to sda3, Bootloader installation is set to MBR, and home partition is set to same as target.

Installation went through smoothly and i received a prompt to restart and boot from hard disk. However upon booting from the hard disk i got an error saying 'Missing operating systems'.

I have ran the installation about ten times since then trying many different things such as installing the Bootloader to the same partition as the target partition which is sda3 and setting the flag for sda3 as boot/active and it still doesn't work.

I have also install the bootloader to MBR and set the System Reserved partition as boot/active then installed and after restarting Grub does not load instead it goes straight to Windows 7 boot Up.

Long post i know, but please help me, thanks. Sad

RE: Installation Woes - leszek - 02-14-2012 08:03 PM

Seems to me the installation of Grub did not work.
Can you please boot the live system and
1. Try to mount your /dev/sda3 with your installed system.
2. Execute sudo grub-install --root-directory=<path/to/mounted/dev/sda3>
If there is any error message please use the "[quote]" function in this forum to paste it here

Also if you have time. Please try to install the system again, but execute the installer (neptune-installer.py) within a terminal so that you will get the error output which might help us to fix the problem for you.
Also notice sometimes it might help upgrading grub on the live system before installing, by executing
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install grub2

in a terminal.

RE: Installation Woes - tiggz - 02-14-2012 10:08 PM

(02-14-2012 08:03 PM)leszek Wrote:  Seems to me the installation of Grub did not work.
Can you please boot the live system and
1. Try to mount your /dev/sda3 with your installed system.
2. Execute sudo grub-install --root-directory=<path/to/mounted/dev/sda3>
If there is any error message please use the "[quote]" function in this forum to paste it here

Also if you have time. Please try to install the system again, but execute the installer (neptune-installer.py) within a terminal so that you will get the error output which might help us to fix the problem for you.
Also notice sometimes it might help upgrading grub on the live system before installing, by executing
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install grub2

in a terminal.

Hello leszek, thanks for your quick response. I followed your instructions and during the installation the terminal did indeed report an error during Grub installation. I went ahead and updated grub and also mounted sda3 and execute the command you gave me. It was a success!!!! I'm posting this from my freshly installed Zeven OS Neptune, after several hours of trying to get up and running.

Thank you so much leszek Big Grin

RE: Installation Woes - leszek - 02-14-2012 10:13 PM

Great that it did work for you Wink